 Administrative / General / 13969
Re: No authentication posts, no posts from the newsreader?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:21:46 GMT

I think it makes sense to post a small update on this issue:

As a matter of fact, email is running fine since the discovery of the "hang"
some days ago. We have a comprehensive warning and traffic management mechanism
in place so we should not run into a similar backlog again.

However, we do experience delivery problems to some destinations, which we are
trying to resolve case by case. These delivery problems are basically of three
types:

- general network failure: Some networks, esp. in the US, seem to have had
connectivity issues. Since delivery is slowly coming back to normal in those
directions, I figure the tickets raised and general maintenance have fixed this
point.

- mail delivery failure: Some servers have - for a variety of reasons - refused
to accept mail vom LUGNET. The reasons ranged from configuration errors (on the
destination side) to rigorous spam policies. Most of these cases could be
resolved already, some remain open but will hopefully get fixed soon.

- service slow-down due to high server load: The LUGNET server runs through a
daily maintenance routine that involves a complete backup of all (several
hundred thousand) files. While the backup runs, mail delivery usually slows down
(as does NNTP). I am currently implementing a different backup mechanism that
will avoid these slow-downs almost completely. Stay tuned ;)

Thanks for your patience,

Jerry