 Western/Wild West / 87
86  |  88
Subject:
Uniforms and Multiforms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 06:35:15 GMT

I am a Civil War Re-enactor.  I also have a few LEGO sets lying about.  That's
the reason I stumbled into this site.
The advantage of Mini-figs in their respective armies is there isn't a GREAT
amount of detail to worry about.  Who cares if they are armed with Enfields or
Springfields?  The important thing would be if they "look right".  With that
in mind here are some of my ideas on mustering the troops.
Federal will of course be predominately blue tops and bottoms.  Blue kepis or
black "cowboy" hats should be the only authorized headgear.  Any of the
frontier soldiers available can be used as they are.
A subset of the Federals (sub-subset of WW?)is the Sharpshooters.  They were
issued green jackets and either green or blue pants with a green kepi.
The Confederates have more leeway.  Grey would be the predominate color.  Not
light grey or dark grey but ANY GREY.  Second would be any shade of brown or
tan.  That can represent "butternut".  Butternut was a dye substitute made of
walnut shells and/or rust.  It would turn to assorted shades of khaki over
time.  Blue pants were also common as the best supplier to the CSA was the US
Army.(prize of war and all that)  Civilian pants of assorted colors would
round out the basic choice.  Headgear would be predominately slouch or cowboy
hats of any color.  Kepis would be grey, brown or blue.
The one style of uniform I haven't quite figured out yet would be the
Zouaves.  Most of them wore red pants and blue jackets.  The hat was either a
fez or turban.  They were a popular style of uniform before the war, but were
soon replaced.  If anybody does the battle of First Brick Run :) there might
be some in ranks.
Flags could be made of paper or thin plastic and mounted like the Samurai Mini-
figs have theirs mounted.
Artillery is a weak area of the Wild West series.  They are hard to find
unless you buy the fort.
Hope this helps.  Any book on ACW uniforms would fill in the gaps.  The idea
of an ACW sub-set of Wild West is interesting.  If LEGO comes out with them I
might have trouble making the rent.