 Western/Wild West / 434
Re: Bayonet Pictures!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:37:43 GMT

In lugnet.western, Jon Furman writes:
What do you do with all of the left over Rock raider parts?
The heads are useless, except the scowling bearded guy, because they've got
mic's on their faces.  I keep the Orange Jumpsuits for Rebel technicians in
my Star Wars hangar and the grey torsos for Confederate artillery (with the
brown Kepi's from The research glider, and the city minifig pack)but I
scrape the yellow and black caution paint off of his pouches with an exacto.
I try not to do too much of my own modification as I am a bit of a purist
now (not completely though, as I really enjoy the work of others)

I've been asking myself that same question - what the heck am I going to do
with all those extra Axle, Bandit, Jets & Sparks mini-figs?  I'm thinking
that my nephews are about to get a load of Rock Raiders dumped on them.  And
how about a half-dozen tool wheels while I'm at it?

I'm also planning to make use of the Doc torso's in my army.  Those Max
Villano torso's are hard to come by. I haven't tried the scraping trick yet
- I'm wavering on the fence - having not yet succumbed to any temptations to
paint, scrape, mutilate or glue any LEGO elements in any way.  I'm getting
close though.

I do like getting all the extra boulders though - for some reason I'm just
really keen on that particular element.  I really like the ice version of it
too.

I'm working on a Confederate cavalry now (with big floppy cavalier hats and
plumes like the mounted lancers from Virginia) but I can't decide if they
look better with the black or the brown bush hat (Johnny Thunder's).

A real confederate artillery would have red kepi's, do you guys think the
pirate bandana would look too cheesy?

I really need to do some studying up on my CW era military uniforms.  I'm
more knowledgeable about 18th military.  I used to work in Colonial
Williamsburg in a building called the Powder Magazine where the colonial
government of VA stored military supplies.  I just finished building a LEGO
model of this building and have a few pictures up on Brickshelf.

I didn't realize that the artillery needed Red kepi's.  I almost think the
brown would be better than the pirate bandana.  I'll have to look at it on
some of my guys.  I think though that my artillery will switch to the brown
since I've got a handful of those now.

I'm looking forward to the cavalry pictures.  Keep it coming and thanks for
sharing.

Greg