 Trains / Train Organizations / 586
Re: We're on the itinerary!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.events, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 23:49:27 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Tom McDonald writes:
http://www.legolandca.com/kidvention.asp?todo=itinerary
Scroll about half way down.

Am I the only one who finds this both almost as disturbing as exciting?
I realize I'm looking at the page several days after it was originally
mentioned, so maybe the text has changed, but the text I see doesn't
mention BayLUG or GMLTC or ldraw.org by name at all -- in fact, they make
it sound like LEGO thought it all up themselves and fan-created clubs and
software don't even exist.  :-(  :-(

The text I see is:

   LEGO Train Club and LDraw Display
   Wednesday, July 12th through Saturday, July 15th,
   9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
   Miniland Overlook: Vista USA
   Details: LEGO brick lovers from across the nation will display some of
   their finest creations, focusing on train sets, and LDraw.

Don't get me wrong -- I think it's totally totally great that they've
included these on the itinerary to help people can find them...  But it's
striking the way they've worded things.  Without a disclaimer to the
contrary, the average consumer is naturally going to assume that LEGO
started or runs this "LEGO Train Club" they mention and that LEGO made
"LDraw" (whatever that is).

It doesn't acknowledge that LDraw is an independent system created by fans
for fans, and it doesn't mention GMLTC or BayLUG by name.

Does anyone have any insight as to why it doesn't say something like this
instead?--

   Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club and LDraw Display
   Wednesday, July 12th through Saturday, July 15th,
   9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
   Miniland Overlook: Vista USA
   Details: GMLTC will display ...; ldraw.org will demonstrate LDraw and
   other fan-created CAD tools for ...

Puzzled,
--Todd