Re: We're on the itinerary!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 07:40:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw "David Schilling"
<davidNO@SPAMsunteleia.com> wrote:
Ever since I got the LEGOLAND flyer in the mail two or three days ago and read
about this Swap & Brag, I've been thinking THIS might be the answer as to
where the LDRAW CD could be sold.  What about it?  If it can't be sold in the
park, but fans are encouraged to sell their stuff in the parking lot, why not?

A good idea.  It won't be ready (read explanation below), but with
sentiments I get from TLC, its their park and they probably don't want
it sold *there.*  That's how I feel at least.

That doesn't go to say they're against the CD-ROM, either.  If all the
proper disclaimers are included, it shouldn't be a problem.

(Refer to http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=632)

Will the CD be ready by then?  Or is this a moot point?

Unfortunately, it won't be even close to ready before that.  I
underestimated the amount of work Kidvention preparation would take
for me.  Also, we want to work out tax issues on the profits before we
begin selling, or even taking donations to start the projectfor that
matter.  This also gives us time to do a better job.

Parents, it *will* be done for Christmas, but dunno, realistically, a
couple months still till when we sell?  Dunno.  We need to do our
homework on the tax info, that's a major part.

Because...

CDs will cost approx. $2000 for the first 1000 copies.  If they are
sold for $10/pc, that will bring $10,000 in returns, -$2000 cost =
$8000 towards the organization.  Taxes need to be worked out for that
amount of $$.

After that, depending on the demand still, we could buy more CDs and
produce another $8000.  Have the $$ for .datFest, and after that, a
server [1].  More CDs, then $$ for some R&D code (suggested to me
tonight) as incentive for programmers to make improvements.
Additional presence at conventions/legofests...etc.

The CD, if popular enough (it should be, given publicity at
Kidvention), will be an EXCELLENT fundraising tool, as well as a great
resource to everyone.  That's our concern right now.  Plus, my time
commitment :\

We're working on it..

[1] Assuming .datFest registration makes up the cost of the event.

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne