Re: We're on the itinerary!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.events, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:38:41 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, John Neal writes:

Todd Lehman wrote:
What I hope we as a community can help LEGO avoid is (to coin a phrase)
"fansploitation" -- i.e., taking advantage of or exploiting things that fans
did which they wish they'd thought of or done first, since they're getting
into this game several years late.

We at the GMLTC will be very sensitive about that issue.  When we display the
layout at train shows, we are very emphatic when asked (one of the most asked
questions, BTW, right behind "how many bricks are there in the layout" • and "how
long did it take you to build this?"-- as if we built it in one sitting, but I
digress;) if TLC "helped" us out or gave us bricks.  It is very satisfying to
say "No! We wish!", or some other such response, because it shows that we are
doing this on our own, separate and apart from TLC.  Frankly, I fear that our
"punch" as an impressive layout will be vastly neutralized by mere proximity
alone to Miniland, and all we will really have going for us is the fact that • we
are *not* a part of TLC, so you all can rest assured that no one will leave • LLC
thinking we are employees of TLC!

I hope they don't. But somehow, I don't think they will, at least to those who
are really looking and not just strolling by.

This might seem a bit a funky to ask, but is anyone behind the GMLTC layout
going to wear a Lego shirt? IMO, they shouldn't, if indeed we want some sort
of separation to be perceivable at first glance. In fact, they shouldn't wear
any Lego logos or Lego-promoting articles at all while behind the layout. And
while some folks might feel the need to wear Lego clothes to continue the
promotion of Lego, I don't think that's a problem inside the park.

And heaven knows I'm not recruiting poor John Neal to print up GMLTC shirts
(if he hasn't already) as he's got enough to do. But huge letters of GMLTC
nice and tall on a shirt would probably be different than anything else a TLC
employee might be wearing.

Am I correct in remembering that the GMLTC usually has flyers and business
cards on display? Maybe a boxcar on the layout with the GMLTC's url printed on
it?

Just some thoughts.

-Tom McD.
when replying, we now return you to your regularly scheduled program, which is
already a spamcake.