Re: We're on the itinerary!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.events, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:42:47 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Eric Kingsley writes:
[...]
That doesn't mean I think TLC couldn't do better but I think we need to
give them a chance and we need to do our jobs to make sure that they know
that it is important to us to be separate entities so that we can do the
things we want to do and not what they find it appropriate for us to do.
They also need to know it is important for us to have a separate identity
and to acknowledge that identity.

Ya, well said!

What I hope we as a community can help LEGO avoid is (to coin a phrase)
"fansploitation" -- i.e., taking advantage of or exploiting things that fans
did which they wish they'd thought of or done first, since they're getting
into this game several years late.

The Kidvention itinerary was probably an honest mistake, but IMHO we should
always keep our eyes and ears peeled for subtle fansploitation, whether it be
accidental or intentional.  Nevertheless, any way you slice it, I think the
Kidvention is a "win win" for both sides.  :-)

--Todd