 Trains / Train Organizations / 2758
  Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes

(...) The standard thing for UK model railway exhibitions is that the organisers pay travelling expenses (i.e. van hire and petrol (gas)) within reason and normally provide lunch for exhibitors. (Traders of course have to pay to be there) (...) A (...) (20 years ago, 16-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes

(...) Sprinters come in short and long wheelbase versions as well as in low and high roof versions (so you get 4 possible cubics, plus all the door and window options). I bet the long wheelbase Transit is about the same capacity, or perhaps smaller, (...) (20 years ago, 16-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes

(...) As a matter of interest, and linked to this subkect, do the US train clubs hold shows/events where every member turns up with a few modules and scenery straight from their homes, rather than holding all the tables/lego in one place? (...) (20 years ago, 16-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes

(...) Great question, and one that I might have some insight on, since I am on a number of different club mailing lists. The answer is "it depends". I would say that the majority of clubs do not practice setup in advance but just turn up on the day. (...) (20 years ago, 16-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes

(...) At a UK model railway exhibition the layouts are what draw the public in, making gate money, so layout exhibitors are paid van hire and fuel expenses (reimbursed on production of receipts) and are provided with lunch each day (usually (...) (20 years ago, 16-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes

(...) (snip) (...) Thanks Larry. I happen to think we are working too hard but for most of us, the challenge of building something new and interesting was just as much fun as presenting and exhibiting. My preference is now for a more permanent build (...) (20 years ago, 17-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes

(...) Yes, that's similar to how it's done in the US, except that here they just pay a predetermined flat appearance fee to each participating club rather than trying to pay actual expenses. We don't get lunch though. What puzzled me was the (...) (20 years ago, 20-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes

(...) True. But this varies by region, in some regions GATS is not the only show organizer. For example, MichLTC does more shows (by a wide margin) that are put on and organized by local clubs, than shows put on by GATS. And in the case of a local (...) (20 years ago, 20-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes

(...) I see. I'm surprised though that you only seem to be considering hired vans. Don't ordinary citizens own vans or small trucks in the UK? We transport our tables to shows in the van belonging to one of our members (Bruce Chamberlain) - a late (...) (20 years ago, 20-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes

(...) Plenty of people do own their own vans, but they don't seem to be Lego fans! They are normally full of rubbish/builders tools and dirt as well! You don't get many pickups, only builders really seem to have them. However people carriers (...) (20 years ago, 20-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes

(...) It is the always the case in the UK, there is no equivalent to GATS. Some of the local clubs do put on national size and quality shows but they do (and can do) this purely because they have a large membership and a willing and active (...) (20 years ago, 20-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes

(...) Waverly springs to mind, as does the York show (to which I have been once :). IMREX used to be the big show in London, but I think I am dating myself by saying so...I think Waverly is now the biggest single show. There are shows put on by (...) (20 years ago, 20-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains.org)