 Trains / Train Organizations / 1603
Re: Ambassador train for the PNLTC layout at LEGOLAND
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 04:18:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Dean Husby writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I am speaking out of turn rather than officially but I suspect that if
MichLTC was one of a chain of clubs, we would just pay to send the box of
cars on to the next club knowing that the next club was going to pay to send
it to the next one after that (and so on) instead of all the detailed paying
for each shipment we have now. It would even out in the end since all clubs
with cars eventually would host at some show or another and have to pay to
send their car (and everyone else's) on to the next show.

This is good unless we have to ship it to the UK or someplace horrid.
Being in Canada the groups would have to be instructed on exactly how to
fill out a Customs form so as not to nail horrific duties and charges...

Ya, I forgot about the UK... If and when they sent a car over we could worry
then.

As for US/Canada interfacing, not that I am advocating smuggling, mind you,
but one COULD just mail it to someone in a border town and have them drive
across and post it from the other side...  (or receive it from the other
side via a friend) There are people in MichLUG that live in Windsor and work
on the US side so it's not like it would even be an extra trip over.

But figureing out what the right thing to say on a customs form to GUARANTEE
no hassles from the Canada guys would be nice. Why can't they just be like
the US and not levy duty on plastic and not try to collect sales tax on it
either. But I digress... (I actually *know* why. Ask me in .debate if you
really want to know)

++Lar