 Trains / Train Organizations / 1624
Re: Ambassador train for the PNLTC layout at LEGOLAND
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 19:44:59 GMT

I thought about the sticker idea too, but then I think you loose the some of
the "flavor" of the club cars. On of the cool things about them is that each
club is represented by more than just a sticker (or logo) but by a style
used to create such a car, be it a container car, box car or even a tanker car.

Also this way each club has some control over how they are represented to
the public (even if it's a public who has no idea of who they are). I would
hate to see my logo used on a box car that I felt didn't represent my club
in the manner I would approve of. Of course if you've seen the box car that
I shipped around the country you'd wonder how a car could be made any
simpler (it is just a box of bricks with some slopes on top and a plate on
each side for a door...hey it had to handle the shipping:
http://www.ngltc.org/GRNBRG2000/gb00x016.jpg )

I know a lot of the NMRA clubs have club cars that they sell and trade with
other clubs. Whenever we have a guest from another NMRA chapter from around
the country they always seem to bring a club car to trade with our group.
It's kind of neat to see the line up of all the vistoring clubs we have had
as guest.

So that was kind of the idea I was thinking of here.

jt

In lugnet.trains.org, John Neal writes:

"James J. Trobaugh" wrote:

Another idea would be to instead of sending the cars around the country
would be for clubs to trade cars with each other. Each club make up a design
and replicated it, then trade with other clubs for their ambassador cars.
Probally need to glue the cars together so the clubs know that they're cars
won't be scavanged for spare parts.

Funny thought:-)

Or, maybe we could assemble all of the clubs logos together and make a sticker
sheet so that they could all be placed on a *Club Car* of the particular club's
design.  That would save the hassles and expense of shipping and also resolve
width issues.  I could actually do that rather easily.

-John

jt

In lugnet.trains.org, Larry Pieniazek writes:

So consider this a larger question then. Is the time and expense of doing an
ambassador car actually worth it? Did any mundane say anything about any of
them? Did anyone care? How much of the time were they run? Should clubs do
this in the future?

One thing I thought of after posting this, now that we have some club or
another having a show most every month, maybe we could send ALL the
ambassador cars directly from one club to the next instead of each club
sending their own in and having to manage the return.

I am pretty sure MichLTC would love to have all of them at its show and
would make sure that they were a talking point in our interaction with the
mundanes.