 Trains / Train Organizations / 1599
Re: Ambassador train for the PNLTC layout at LEGOLAND
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 01:55:59 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains.org, Dean Husby writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

So consider this a larger question then. Is the time and expense of
doing an
ambassador car actually worth it? Did any mundane say anything about any of
them? Did anyone care? How much of the time were they run? Should clubs do
this in the future?

One thing I thought of after posting this, now that we have some club or
another having a show most every month, maybe we could send ALL the
ambassador cars directly from one club to the next instead of each club
sending their own in and having to manage the return.

I am pretty sure MichLTC would love to have all of them at its show and
would make sure that they were a talking point in our interaction with the
mundanes.

Are there any build specs for the Ambassador cars? 6 wide? 8 wide? How
high? etc...  This would be both good for groups that want to build cars
and who want to ensure there are clearances for the cars on their
layouts.

I don't believe any formal specs have been laid down. Dan did say in the
post at the top of this string to stay within certain boundaries and to go
for ruggedness rather than fanciness. The MichLTC car uses a drop center
wagon plate (no originality there) and is 6 wide. It holds two standard
containers vertically (well actually one container is one brick higher than
we intended because our sticker is too big but I would say don't go the
extra brick taller).

Those dimensions seem a reasonable envelope to stay within. Although some
clubs are now doing 8 wide, some aren't, so doing an 8 wide car would
preclude operating on some show layouts. The downside of course is that if
all the club cars are 6 wide, they will look a little weird on the GMLTC
layout which is going to be full 8 wide dimensioned, for example. But if
there is a 6 wide engine to pull them it won't be TOO bad. (maybe 8 wide
clubs could do a 6 wide "old time steamer" to pull this train so it would
look less misproportioned as a train? older==smaller, typically. But there
weren't too many containers at the turn of the last century :-) ) Maybe bat
this around to see, do others think it's a reasonable envelope to stay within?

6 wide does seem best right now for roving rolling stock...

I think this idea has a lot of merit. It's way easier and cheaper to send
one large box to one address than many small boxes to many addresses,
reducing stress for the host club and expense for the "visiting "clubs. If
each club had a small box/foam carrier for their car, those could all go
inside one large shipping box for the hosting club to forward on to the next
show (and the layers of tape and labels that would accrete on the outer box
would be kind of neat in their own right).

I am speaking out of turn rather than officially but I suspect that if
MichLTC was one of a chain of clubs, we would just pay to send the box of
cars on to the next club knowing that the next club was going to pay to send
it to the next one after that (and so on) instead of all the detailed paying
for each shipment we have now. It would even out in the end since all clubs
with cars eventually would host at some show or another and have to pay to
send their car (and everyone else's) on to the next show.

This is good unless we have to ship it to the UK or someplace horrid.
Being in Canada the groups would have to be instructed on exactly how to
fill out a Customs form so as not to nail horrific duties and charges...

Dean
--
Dean Husby
LUGNET Member #320