 Trains / 8836
Re: Discontinued Train Items??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:11:55 GMT

Ben,
Thanks for giving me the whole picture!

I recall your original posting in lugnet.trains about the points issue, so I
figured the 1000steine forum message I found was part of the larger "points
& crossings picture."

Early 2001 should prove to be an interesting time for the Train series. I
just hope it goes uphill rather than downhill.

I do enjoy viewing the galleries on 1000steine.de . From your point of view,
Ben, are the German Lego fans as passionate about the hobby as Americans? I
would suspect that it is about even, but I imagine there are more Train fans
in Germany.

Bryan

"Reinhard "Ben" Beneke" <r.beneke@tu-bs.de> wrote in message
Dear Bryan,

you have found an articel, which was posted a few days after a big "earth
quake" in the German Forum at www.1000steine.de/forum . This has been one • of
the last shock waves of it....

The story in a short:

1. Lego distributers have been told by Lego Company that points and • crossing
would be discontinued and gave this information to us, their customers.

2. Some of us asked the consumer service of Lego and were told the same

3. dec. 7th :an anonymous guy (Flame-Slizer) surfed by and told us how • stupid
those where, who told that points would be discontinued ("Volltrottel!") • and
that this was a wrong information. So I had to feel as "Volltrottel", • since I
forwarded that information too (alsways telling, where I found it). I also • did
a posting here in this newsgroup.

4. it came out, that this guy was an employee of Lego (using his work • computer
of Lego, but as he later said, he did it in his free time)

5. a big discussion started (take just a look at the amount of answers!):
http://f24.parsimony.net/forum61776/messages/977.htm

6. dec. 11th: Lego consumer service for Europe still told that points • would be
discontinued....

7. (This is the message you have read):
Flyers were found in some shops,  which told, that points and crossings • will
not be discontinued as planned, but 4533, 4557 and 4553 will do. Also the • whole
Basic line ends with this year.

Of course thes story did not go on as straight as tod here: those days • have
been the days with the biggest traffic in the forum since ever and there
have been a lot of discussions on Legos behaviour, their losses and the
decreasing quality of bricks and sets in general.

Kind Regards,

Ben

BTW: this was the first semi-official contact of TLC with the German Lego®
community. I think after this great start things can at least not become
worse... ;-)