 Trains / 8705
  New Track radius question

I just measured and the radius of LEGO track and it's 20 studs (to the center of the tie). The question is what should the wider track radius be. Add 8 studs and the ties are touching end-to-end, not a great solution, way to close. There needs to be (...) (24 years ago, 11-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Track radius question

(...) I believe you mean 40 studs... You would want to increase the radius in 2.5" increments (8 studs) so that a semi-circle will still measure out to equal a set number of straight tracks. The current curve will form a circle that is as wide as 5 (...) (24 years ago, 11-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Track radius question

(...) I think it's already dead elsewhere:-) -John (...) (24 years ago, 11-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Track radius question

(...) I think the radius of a larger curve should be 56 studs, i.e. 16 larger than the current radius of 40 (not 20). This would put parallel tracks 16 studs apart just like they are with the current points. I haven't thought about clearance but I'm (...) (24 years ago, 11-Dec-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Track radius question

(...) Steve, Mike, and Matt: Thanks for thinking and posting about this larger radius of curvature...and so long ago! I'm playing catch-up! I did a little sketching of the current track geometry and a few circles of radius = 56 studs (56 studs to (...) (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Track radius question

(...) I'm not trying to criticize, since I'm certainly no expert on such matters, I'm just saying. Neat stuff in any case. -Stefan- (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Track radius question

(...) I have skirted the issue by using curve-straight-curve...aight-etc. for most of my turns, which comes out to be about a 72 stud radius. One note: I don't use points, except in a train yard (so basically for looks). And when you get right down (...) (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: New Track radius question

(...) I'd like to see them made like HO switches. In these, the switch only has a free-moving bar attached to the points, to which you can attach a motorized switch machine or a manual throw. -Stefan- (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: New Track radius question

Not a demand, just a suggestion, in case it came out that way. Sorry about the wrapping screw-up. -Stefan- (...) (22 years ago, 7-Sep-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: New Track radius question

Yes, Ho type points, that would be awsome.... I have drawn some possible points a while ago in brickshelf: (URL) would also like to see points without the "S" curve, but with a cleareance of only 8 studs. However, to model "real" traintrack other (...) (22 years ago, 10-Sep-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: New Track radius question

You mean like this... (URL) like it will work to me! These were built with the new geometry points and curves that I proposed way back on my website, although note that it does require a half straight on the first branch which would also be a nice (...) (22 years ago, 19-Sep-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Track radius question

(...) Oh yeah. *WHACKS HEAD ON WALL* It's called a straight. :^) -Stefan- (22 years ago, 20-Sep-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Track radius question

(...) Oooh...Lego wyes!!! That would be awesome. We'd be able to turn our engines much easier. Still needs a lot of space though... :^\ It would still be neat. If only Lego had this many different switch styles out: (URL) (22 years ago, 20-Sep-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: New Track radius question

(...) outer half-circle illustrates it best. What you want to be able to do is to take a quarter circle with a straight added to each end, and have your new curvature fit that. Anything else is just asking to complicate the geometry even further. 16 (...) (22 years ago, 20-Sep-02, to lugnet.trains)