 Trains / 17580
Re: New Track radius question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 20:49:45 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:

I did a little sketching of the current track geometry and a few circles of
radius = 56 studs (56 studs to center of track curve).  Once, again, thanks
to Matt Bates, for you (his) Track Designer application.

I have skirted the issue by using curve-straight-curve-straight-etc. for most
of my turns, which comes out to be about a 72 stud radius.

One note: I don't use points, except in a train yard (so basically for looks).
And when you get right down to it, if you don't have remote point switching,
they just end up being for show anyway...  So I guess what I'm saying is that
if TLC is going to make the effort to alter the geometry, let's get those
points designed to be motorized from the git-go.

I would love to see larger radius curves (in quarter sections), as well as
longer sections of straight track (3 combined), in addition to a 1/4 size of
the current length.

-John