 Trains / 17575
Re: New Track radius question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 17:17:35 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Matthew Bates writes:
Questions:
1) How far a part should the tracks be around a curve?

I think the radius of a larger curve should be 56 studs, i.e. 16 larger than
the current radius of 40 (not 20). This would put parallel tracks 16 studs
apart just like they are with the current points. I haven't thought about
clearance but I'm sure this would be more than sufficient. I think any other
geometry would be messy. For example 56 equals 7 straights so an S curve can
be made just like 5 straights equal an S curve made with the current curves. See

http://www.ngltc.org/train_depot/geometry.htm

Why are you asking? Are you proposing new track designs to Lego? If so how
about some new points as well like...

http://www.ngltc.org/train_depot/newpoint.htm

Matt

Steve, Mike, and Matt:  Thanks for thinking and posting about this larger
radius of curvature...and so long ago!  I'm playing catch-up!

I did a little sketching of the current track geometry and a few circles of
radius = 56 studs (56 studs to center of track curve).  Once, again, thanks
to Matt Bates, for you (his) Track Designer application.

Two track configuration illustrations:
1) Looping cross track with 56 stud radius of curve
    - each end of a 3/4 circle of 56 stud radius of curve connects to
        a cross-track with qty 3 sections of 16 stud long straight track
        sections.
2) Dog-bone with switches for parallel curve passing siding
    - Use standard current radius curve (40 studs) section upon exit of
        switch turn-out in an orientation to create a parallel siding.
    - Continue same curve direction with larger radius of curve.
    - Ah, never mind...see the pictures, please.

Please not that the two images shown here are the same:  One is a bitmap
(231KB) and the other is a GIF (31KB).

I included the bitmap in the case someone might want to download the bitmap
and count pixels.

Here's a deep link to the GIF:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/TrainsOther/LargerTrackRadius/v1/a_track_radius_increase_parallel_v2e.gif

And a deep link to the bitmap:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/TrainsOther/LargerTrackRadius/v1/track_radius_increase_parallel_v2e.bmp

Matt, your "newpoint" shown via the link above is really intriguing!

later,
James Mathis