 Trains / 8278
Re: James Mathis really has caught the 8-wide bug!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 03:42:21 GMT

James Mathis wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Yet another 8 wide from James Mathis:

Nice job!  Although I don't see any new innovative techniques,

?? Well, maybe not NEW, but there is a LOT of SNOT in this model.

Consider the grillwork on the nose. That's done with two tailgates, one
right side up, one upside down.

I just flipped the tailgate around at the finger-hinge junction.  The 1x4
"finger" plate to which the tailgate is attached is still studs-up.
However, the 1x4 "finger" plates are offset 1/2 stud to produce a slight
slope to the front "grill" look.

I agree that there isn't really anything "new".  It's mostly still my "try"
at building 8-wide train creations.  After creating the Palantine I thought
of freight.   I really admire Andreas' and Holger's 8-wide loco of the same
type...so much I wanted one, too.

Consider the cab windows. These are boat
bridge windows, upside down.

Now, this boat bridge window is really what drove me to build this
locomotive in 8-wide.  I basically built around the window.  It is too wide
to use as a front windshield for a 6-wide locomotve.  And, I think it is too
long to use on a 6-wide model of this same DB212 locomotive.
This white 8 stud boat bridge window was just waiting....
Perfect time to try it since I am "exploring" the realm of 8-wide ;-)

later,
James Mathis

I think that is so funny, interesting funny, not ha ha funny. So many models are
built around a part that the builder thinks is perfect. James thought the boat
bridge window would be perfect for a DB212. Kim thought that the sloped round
window was perfect for an F7. I thought the 2x3 rounded brick was the right
brick for a blower housing. We took our "perfect" bricks and built engines
around them, weird. ANyone else build a model around a perfect brick?

Chris
--
PGP public key available upon request.