 Trains / 8279
Re: Acela Nose L-coupler matches standard height
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:47:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kai Brodersen writes:
Hello James,
I am not a very frequent poster but have any ideas on cars for the acela?

My ideas for the passenger wagons on the Acela are very tentative at the
moment.  I have not yet tried even a preliminary start.
I am very ready to continue the Acela project, for I heard on the news that
the Acela made its inaugural trip today.  NPR news stated that public
service would begin next month.  Not sure if that means one month from today
or 01 Dec, just a couple of weeks from today.

I imagine the Acela passenger cars that I would first build would actual be
based on the gray train and window service packs.   First reason is
availabilty for a "window".  I think I would prefer to model the windows as
in my Cisalpino with 1x2x3 trans light blue windows from the 4561 train set.
Here, these windows are turned 90 degrees to get a lower profile window.  I
have seen good passenger cars made with windows formed from simple black
bricks.   This could be a way to go, too.

I'm not sure what type of wall to roof structure should be used:
- 45 degree gray slopes?
- 33 degree gray slopes?
- stepped gray tiles?

It would be nice to model  the dual trapezoidal (?) cross-section shape of
the wagons, but I can't readily imagine how to accomplish that.  Anyone
trying this?

I might try to place some color bricks into the stark gray wall of the Acela
wagons.  I have seen that the passenger cars have light blue and orange (?)
color "splashes" on their sides.  I think the color is dependent or
indicative of the service offered in that particular car.

later,
James Mathis

In lugnet.trains, David K. Z. Harris writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote (in part):

later,
James Mathis

Wow James! I've always enjoyed seeing your creativity with
LEGO parts. Thanks for posting (articles and pictures! :-)

     -Z-