 Trains / 7640
Re: Basic 'bread and butter' tank cars to share with you.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 16:56:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Harvey Henkelman writes:
Anyway, some input would help give these little
cars some meaning on ones layout. any takers?  -Harvey

Not sure I parsed this one correctly. They seem "cute". Kind of small, and
could use some detailing like railings, ladders, discharge valving, etc.

BUt a good start.

Question for the group, should a tank like this be 4 diameter or 6. For a 6
wide car, 4 is stubby, and 6 is almost too wide. Maybe 5 wide? That might • get
the rounding right. (a 6 wide done with 2 45 slopes in a row has too much
slope, and done with one 33 slope has not enough... and the wrong shape)

Doing tanks with slopes is hard. What we really need is a bazillion of the • old
style 5 diameter sponge tire hubs in lots of different colors.

My inclination is that 4 diameter is acceptable. While we certainly
should use all available parts for more accurate models, ultimately we
are working in a medium which will always have a toy-like appearance,
especially if we want to populate our creations with people (minifigs).
The medium also has a lot of limitations. This really is my reason for
sticking with 6-wide. Sure, with 8-wide you can make some impressive
models, but they can really start to look ridiculous on the curves, and
things like full width windshields are somewhat limited. Because of
this, I'm not even that upset with the buffers despite their
non-Americanness. I also figure my layout will feature a lot of 4 wheel
cars (one thing to think about, if you don't have a huge basement, and
want to do a lot of switching, you may want to use short 4 wheel cars
just so you can fit more on the layout).

If your goal is fine-scale realism, you're working in the wrong media.
I heartily agree with you, we're in this to have fun. Not to 'count rivets' as
some in the NMRA do. This is one of the reasons I had left the NMRA in the
first place-Harvey