 Trains / 7687
Re: Basic 'bread and butter' tank cars to share with you.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 20:37:19 GMT

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 05:47:56, "Harvey Henkelman" <Harvey333994@cs.com>
wrote:

Well everybody, I'm back once more with a new pic. Check out my tank cars at
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=16372 . As you can tell, they
are pretty simple and not all that awesome like that 8-wide crane car

"Simple" can also be "awesome":  if I were a Mega-bloks product
manager looking to start a Trains line,  I'd consider a design that
could be inexpensively produced,  using only existing basic elements,
to be pretty "awesome".

I like the "retro-Lego" look of them,  that harkens back to the days
when a finished model still required a bit of imagination on the part
of the viewer,  and "suggested" a real-life counterpart,  instead of
trying to depict it in excruciating detail.

And I like the fact that you can build them without having to sell
your eldest daughter to a Moroccan bordello to afford the parts.  ;-)

Be cautious about comparing something like your tank cars to something
like that crane:  it's similar to comparing back-porch whittling to
elaborate marble sculpture.  They're very different,  each has its own
purposes that are just as "valid" as the other's,  and they shouldn't
be judged by each other's standards.

If I were to build some (and there's a good chance I will),  I would
try adding grille tiles across the top to form a catwalk,  and adding
ladders at the end (replacing a few bricks with plates to allow the
ladders to run the full height).  But I might wind up pulling them
off,  to return to the "minimalist" style.  Beyond that,  you almost
have to switch from "whittling mode" to "sculpture mode",  and start
looking for more-accurate curves and "rivets" to make them detailed.

Train-newbie question:  has anyone done tank car MOCs using "facet"
bricks?  I picked up a few,  with an eye to doing something similar to
the Twin Tank Transport,  but it occurs to me that they
might look okay if built into a long horizontal tank,  instead of
sphere-ish vertical ones.  I don't have enough bricks to try it,
though.

Ran