 Trains / 7641
Re: "Glass switch" for dept store window train display
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 17:20:18 GMT

Just thinking : might a cool use for Mindstorms and the RCX, have two light
sensor bricks facing out of the window and then respond only to quick light
intensity changes, to account for day and night time illumination. And use
the third sensor input to detect when the train has made a complete loop (or
whatever).  Don't know if this will work or not, don't know what your budget
is like. :) Also, there is no way to control 110V lights, unless you make
your own relay, should not be too hard though.

Cheers
oliver
Play Well

"Dan Parker" <dnvpark@gte.net> wrote in message
I landed a contract to build a holiday-themed train display for a local
department store.  Woo-hoo! [sound both the train and I are making]

What I'm looking for is an activation switch such that, when mounted on • the
__inside__ of the glass window, passers-by on the sidewalk can activate • the
train, tree lights, etc.  Anybody have experience with one of these?  The • goal
is cost-effective implementation with no holes in the building and minimal
fire hazard.  Is anything like this available off the shelf?

I've looked at simple motion control.  Units either won't work as they • shut
off during daylight hours, or require a relatively high load (70-90 • watts).

A more primitive approach is a crude foil capacity plate stuck to the • inside
of the glass, thus requiring I complete a circuit-system.  Not sure how
reliable this is.

I've also gotten leads on 'heat sensor' or IR switches.  I'm thinking that
this could mean a non-IR proximity heat pickup, an IR heat pickup, or an • eye
capable of detecting IR at some distance (set to 'very short range').

Any help?  We've already posed the question to the TCA traintypes.

thx,
dan parker
TrainBuilder Productions, LLC