 Trains / 7642
Re: "Glass switch" for dept store window train display
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 18:39:01 GMT

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:55:46, "Dan Parker" <dnvpark@gte.net> wrote:

A more primitive approach is a crude foil capacity plate stuck to the inside
of the glass, thus requiring I complete a circuit-system.

Or use a fancy capacitive plate:  cut the foil into the shape of,
say,  a hand or a Christmas tree.

Not sure how
reliable this is.

It may take a little tweaking to get the size of the antenna right,
but it should be pretty solid once you do.  Make sure you test with
several people:  there's a lot of variation in body capacitance,  so
the sensitivity of the switch varies from person to person.

You can get everything you need to experiment (including some
"mini-notebooks" with sample
circuits) for under $20 from your local Radio Schlock.

Ditto for light sensors,  but the RCX approach Oliver suggested might
be more appealing.

Ran