 Trains / 7256
Re: Handling "Kid play areas" on layouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 21:42:24 GMT

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, James J. Trobaugh wrote:

The question is how do you keep these areas under control?

You build it very solidly, put gutters around the table to catch bricks,
and have one or two members watching it.  You don't include *any* personal
stock or anything you care for dearly in the Kids Rail Road.  They will
take it apart.  Even if it's glued.  Trust me.  They will break bricks to
take things apart when they are glued.

Do you limit the time kids can play?

In all the PNLTC shows I've been to, I personally have only had to ask one
child to leave the Kids Rail Road.  He was an older child who was
dominating one of our three loops for hours and started telling other kids
to leave because it was "his" loop, at which point I asked him to leave.
He did so.  Sulkily.  I saw no sign of a parent.

How do you keep parents from just dropping off kids and
leaving you to babysit while they look around the rest of the show?

If a parent is that irresponsible, you can't.  However, you can put up a
sign that says "Adult Supervision Required" and hope for the best.  And if
a member notices a parent leaving a small child in the KRR, you can say
"Excuse me, are you sure you want to leave your child unsupervised?" to
them.

Most parents are reasonable.  At one show, in the Fall, a parent would
leave their child in the KRR then sneak over to where I was standing and
ask me how to buy a LEGO train while junior was otherwise occupied.  If
even only one in ten of the parents I talked with bought a train, LEGO
made a lot of money from that show.

98% of the kids I've dealt with at shows have been reasonably polite.  The
other 1.999% have responded well to a polite request to behave (or even a
sharp look).  KRRs really enhance a layout, just don't put anything of
value in there beyond the engine and the tracks.  Buy a couple of buckets
of plain bricks and a Freestyle bucket or two and expect some losses.

-Laura