 Trains / Train Organizations / 820
Re: Handling "Kid play areas" on layouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:58:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Christopher Masi writes:
Frank Filz wrote:
In lugnet.trains.org, Christopher Masi writes:
Frank Filz wrote:
Steve Bliss wrote:
So, has anyone asked LEGO Direct to sponsor a Kids Railroad Area
by supplying the LEGO parts?  Seems like it could be a win for
both TLC and the LTC.

A loan of a K-8 would be a great way to stock a KRR. All you'd have
to add then would be track, a few train motors, some train wheels
and some couplers, and possibly some large plates.

Besides being a box size that LEGO uses to store bricks (as I remember
it, not that many bricks styles were actually stored in the K-8 size
boxes, but that was 10 years ago) what is a K-8?

These days, the playtables are usually stocked with K-8s that have been
filled with parts from semi-recent sets. They don't seem to be complete
sets, so I don't know if they are damaged sets, end of run leftovers,
or what.

So when you say K-8 you mean a K-8 sized box filled with random bricks.

I should clarify what I said. I was a factory slob (material handler),
so when I mean stored I mean that the bricks get molded placed in a box,
and then the box is emptied (or was emptied) by me into some big hopper.
While I was there we filled what we referred to as "Hospital Boxes".
These were huge boxes that the raw abs came in. We would fill with
over runs or broken bags.

I'm still not sure - Could you please clarify what " K-8 " is/means?

I seems from what I'm reading that it is not the name of a set or
style or "line" of LEGO, but rather a nickname for a container that
holds excess LEGO that can't be put in retail sets for whatever reason.

SRC