 Trains / Train Organizations / 815
Re: Handling "Kid play areas" on layouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:20:55 GMT

Just a follow up to the results of the Kids area at the recent NGLTC show.
First of all it worked great, these kids were climbing over each other to
play. So next show the table will have to be twice as big. For this show I
had a 3'x6' table, 2' high. Three sides had house rain gutters attached and
the forth side had a plexiglass wall. There was a simple figure eight track
and the 3225 engine. I had supplied some pre-built flat cars for the kids to
build on, but they soon decided to take those apart and make their own. Not
once did I ever have to instruct the kids on how to build the trains or run
them. There was even one little girl who didn't like the fact that the boys
were running the train, so she made a train that had sails and she blew it
around the track...oh what a great toy LEGO makes, no limits.

I would also like to thank Brad Justus and the LEGO Company for the donation
of bricks for the Kids area, sure took the stress off of me worrying about
the bricks getting lost or broken.

jt

--
James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club
James J. Trobaugh <james@ngltc.org> wrote in message
I have a question for all the LTCs that have had "kid play areas" on thier
layouts. This summer we at the NGLTC had a section that the kids were • allowed
to drive the trains, and this October we're planning on going a steop • futher
and having a full section for the kids to build and drive trains.

The question is how do you keep these areas under control? Do you limit • the
time kids can play? How do you keep parents from just dropping off kids • and
leaving you to babysit while they look around the rest of the show? Any • other
issues or hints that you may have would be welcome also.

jt

----