 Trains / 4757
  Re: Containers

(...) Thin walls. Here's my solution, only problem being it requires a 1x2 orange thin wall. I don't think they exist (yet). I just built this on a 4x4 plate to try it out, hopefully you can follow along. On your black 4x4 plate at the center edge, (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

(...) I think I see one thing which doesn't meet my criteria, the tile will not be flush with the surface of the wall, it will stick out 1/2 plate thickness. My solution leaves it flush with the surface of the wall. I don't mind not having an (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

IRL name and logo plates are often welded onto the rib bulges so "appear" to stick out. However they don't actually do so due to clearance reasons. If you're not going to be stacking your sebulba container next to other containers and not going to (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

(...) Wrong! :) :) Check this out. I just whipped this up as a solution to your problem. As far as I can tell, it matches all criteria mechanically. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether or not the 1x2x2 panels come in orange... (...) (the ">" (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

(...) Well there's nothing like saying "can't be done" to shake out the solution... (...) Ooh, naughty... :-) Could you generate a JPG or two, or just describe it? (I don't have a way to look at .DATs at work). Hmm, I just tried to look at all the (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

(...) I may end up doing that, though I would like for the containers to be able to be stacked beside each other. Of course I haven't seen a solution yet which I have all the necessary orange parts, my solution so far comes the closest (since I (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

(...) I just emailed you a GIF instructions sheet, but to your mindspring account... should I email it to your work account? (...) Nope :) It's what I like to call an IES* There is no actual piece that holds the tile at 90 degrees... it's the (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

(...) Mindspring is just fine (I can access it from work). (...) Ah, now I see. I may use that for a few containers which open. That solution won't work for the Selbulba tile though since the thin walls aren't split in color, and it doesn't manage (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

(...) As the automatic doors on the Starship Heart of Gold would say, "Glad to be of service!" :) --Karim (24 years ago, 13-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

Karim wrote in message ... (...) account... (...) holds (...) pieces (...) Well, I just (well several hours ago) tried this out. The geometry doesn't quite work out. To fill in those who haven't seen the picture, the key is that staggered, opposing (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

Has anybody recommend that this guy should go out, buy some decal paper or sticker paper, make the design on the comp, print it out, and paste it on? Last I saw, decal paper was about a dollar per sheet. Just a suggestion...nothing personal or (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

Kela Akira Kitkowski wrote in message ... (...) Because it isn't a "pure" solution, and doesn't give us the opportunity to try and find an elegant solution. Besides, sticker paper wouldn't be flush either (of course if you get right down to it, (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Containers

(...) Oooh, Drat! I forgot about the "lego" logos extruded on the tops of the studs... Oh well, just goes to show the dangers of designing lego models in your head... :) BTW, I just tried it myself, and it does work... almost... the deflection of (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

(...) It's more than just the letters, the actual stud is ever so slightly taller. When I gently slid a plate into a chanel made by reversing two thin walls, the top of the stud caught the edge of the wall. The two stud wide channel with 3 plates + (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

(...) Hmmm, we may be running into the limit of lego tolerances here. When I tried the assembly, it was clearly just the letters on top of the studs that kept it from working perfectly. In fact, it does actually hold together, and works just as I (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

You could always "accidentally" stick a MegaBlock plate back there. It would be obscured from view and I don't think they have markings on the studs, but maybe they do. (I don't use MB, so I wouldn't know). I know Tyco had blank studs, but their (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Containers

(...) It's a great idea. If you're impure. :-) Purists (and I'm mostly in this camp) like to see what they can do without using non LEGO things. But there's nothing wrong with your suggestion. (24 years ago, 14-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)