 Trains / 4287
  EMD DD40 almost done - pics up!

I have uploaded some pics of the EMD DD40 I have been working on. It is almost done. I only need to change some items to the proper colors when I can find the parts, finish adding details on the roof and a few other things. It is 8 x 76 studs, has 2 (...) (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: EMD DD40 almost done - pics up!

I think Mike forgot to say where, and I am guessing it is here: (...) I like the comparision pic with the HO scale model pic. You've got the proportions right! But it's so HUGE... I think 6 wide may have been a better choice. Still, very nice work. (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: EMD DD40 almost done - pics up!

(...) Daggum, it's HUGE !!! Maybe if you interspersed a straight track between each curve piece the overhang wouldn't be quite so...blatant. Nice work though, I really wish it wasn't UPAC, between them and Santa Fe I've seen too many western (...) (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: EMD DD40 almost done - pics up!

Hmm, I think you are little ahead of your time. Perhaps in another five years when LEGO releases larger radius track, you'll be on to something. Building to scale should be as much about functionality as well as meeting exact scaling. But I leave (...) (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: EMD DD40 almost done - pics up!

Thanks for the comments. Yes, Larry, I was so excited that I forgot to put the link up, but you were very correct in figuring it was here: (URL) tighter curve has put a lot of restrictions on me. Although the loops I have running right now are (...) (24 years ago, 20-Feb-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: EMD DD40 almost done - pics up!

Mike- I commend you on an excellent model! Building regular GPs will seem tiny by comparison;-) Using scale models from which to model is an excellent idea. I got razzed by the GMLTC for buying an HO GP50 dummy to model from ('course, they razz me (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: EMD DD40 almost done - pics up!

(...) Hardly, the real protoheads subscribe to Extra 2200 S, _the_ diesel spotters mag. They came up with the version labels that are often used with engines (eg, a F7 Ver VI or such...) covering the details. The Cyclopedias are however exelent (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: EMD DD40 almost done - pics up!

Subscribing to a mag is all well and good if you have time and space... and it's to be recommended to die hard 'heads, but the Cyc is indeed a great source, as far as it goes. Amazon has it for 27. I'd recommend it as a comprehensive reference. The (...) (24 years ago, 21-Feb-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: EMD DD40 almost done - pics up!

Mike, Nice work, a bit big don't you think? Anyway, I was actually writing about the curve straight-track corners. I set up curved-straight track corners once. I was trying to enlarge the radius to cut down on high speed derailing, but what I found (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-00, to lugnet.trains)