 Trains / 4188
Re: Blue Electric Track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 21:44:32 GMT

Grey track and blue track differ on a few things, but the overall design is
the same and the track can be mixed easily.

Points have the same dimensions and look the same for the track but have
different switching mechanisms.

That's right. And all the other explanations given by you are valid too.
Thanks.

http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=755-1 (manual)
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=753-1 (automatic)

To be honestly I have never seen automatic (remote?) blue points I only have
manual points, AFAIK automatic points were introduced with the grey track (I
also couldn't find automatic points in my catalogue-collection).

Indeed there have been remote controlled automatic points first. They have been
invented in the late 60ies (1969?).

Maybe someone from the FGLTC can clarify this as they have a much bigger
blue track collection than I have!

It's mainly Torsten Wernecke, who owns far over 250 meters of blue track. That
collection includes more than 15 of the 753 remote controlled points. Those can
only be connected to the 740 transformator. That had three exits for voltage:
0-12V for driving trains, 12V permanent for lights and 16(!!)V for remote
controlled points.
Only catalog scan with 753 and 740 which I found is on Horst Lehners site:
http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk72/GK72-13.JPG

Sorry, but I made no picture of that assembly of point switch and transformer
at our x-mas train event... There are small switches (2x8) in blue next to each
other to be put on the 740 transformer. the first of them is connected to the
16V power supply of the transformer, the others get it by lying side by side.
From each of the switches you take a cable to one point. That's similar to
later version of the 80ies.

There are different switching meganisms. The blue switch is fixed to the
base of the turnout and has only 4 studs on it to fit a small 2x2 tile with
a turnout number on it.

That's right again! And the remote controlled blue points look the same as
later invented manual ones. In difference to grey points they are completely
glued, so you can't repair them by adding a spare point motor. And the cable is
fixed to the point: if that gets cut near the point, you can't repair ist
either.

If you like to see more of the blue train stuff go here:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/trains/blue_era.html

Regards

Ben

(Member of FGLTC)