 Trains / 4183
Re: 12 signals in 9V setup (was Re: Blue Electric Track)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 03:09:59 GMT

Frank Buiting wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> schreef in berichtnieuws
38A5FDF2.C56198C0@voyager.net...
Frank Buiting wrote:

[3] I use the signal with my 9V track, Busy Bee sells those signals for • 16
pounds and with minor adjustments 9V trains can be controlled with it. • If
you want some info feel free to mail me how it's done :-)

I think this would be of general interest, please consider posting it
here!!!

Okay here goes:
The 12V signal kit consists of four parts:
1. Electrical wire
2. The signal lights
3. Special track
4. The controls

Modification for each part:
1. The wires are not the problem, it's the connectors. Luckily the 12V
connectors are easily removed with a screwdriver. Cut the 9V wire and attach
the 12V connecters to it. Now you have a way to connect the 12V switch to
your 9V track.
2. The signal doesn't need modification, the colour of the lights depend on
the way + and - are connected.
3. The 12V power lines are interrupted on one side creating an isolated
stretch of track. This is only required on one side. In my setup I have used
a little saw to cut the metal part in a piece of straight track. Remember
this is only required on one side! You'll need two of those. (Like in the
12V kit there are two of those pieces of track)

Track piece: (aka. bad ascii art)
========= rails
===||===== rails
cut here (only the metal part)

4. The controls don't require any modification at all. But Instead I'll
explain how the controls work.
There are two 'output' ports. Depending on what button you press on the
controls it does the following:
-Green:
    output #1 connect both wires
    output #2 reverse polarity
-Red
    output #1 do nothing
    output #2 reverse polarity
Connecting both wires might sound as creating a short circuit, but for this
purpose it is not. Effectively you'll create a connection between the track
and the isolated part.

Putting it together:
Take the two stretches of track with the cuts on the same side (ideally put
an extra piece of track between them).
Now connect the track with a wire (the one with which you normally would
connect to the speed regular) but instead of connecting it to both sides,
connect it on the same side of the track, one connection on each side of the
cut.
Connect this to the control box (connector closest to the green button).
When pressing the green button both lines are connected and the current
flows via the wire to the (formerly) isolated track. Press the red button
and the track becomes isolated again and the train will stop.
Next connect a speedregulator (most of us have a spare one ;-)) to feed the
control box and connect the lights to the other output (make sure that the
color displayed is corresponding with the lights otherwise flip the cable)
and it's finished!

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/7000/7777/7777-08.html
shows in what way the track is wired in 12V. You can see the isolated track
and the way it is connected to the control box (blue lines on the right
side). As you can see the lights are on a seperate circuit so if you have a
12V transformer you could use it (like me) for controlling the signal's
lights.

I'll take the parts to work monday and make some pictures with the office's
digital camera and put the pictures on the web. I'll post a note when I have
the pictures.
I hope this explaination was clear enough (English is not my first language)
but if there are some questions, just ask :-)

-Frank

After reading this then It got me thinking of how you could do it in a full 9v
solution, using the 9v light bricks. Is such a thing possible? How would you
replicate the controller? You could do it with some fancy poll reverser swich,
wire and conducting plate work.

--
Jonathan Wilson
wilsonj@xoommail.com