 Trains / 4182
Re: 12 signals in 9V setup (was Re: Blue Electric Track)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 02:50:52 GMT

Frank Buiting wrote:

I'll take the parts to work monday and make some pictures with the office's
digital camera and put the pictures on the web. I'll post a note when I have
the pictures.
I hope this explaination was clear enough (English is not my first language)
but if there are some questions, just ask :-)

It was great! Thanks.

One thing for those of us who are squeamish about cutting track to make
electrical gaps... there are at least two other ways.

One is as follows: take 2 sections of track and put black electrical
tape or some other thin but good insulator material on the joint where
the rails abut. Put the track back together, use a few plates to
semipermanently connect things, and now you have the electrical gap you
need. Do this twice for the two gaps needed to make an isolated section.
You only need to tape one side. This is not for the ultra purist as it
uses non Lego (the electrical tape)... But it's non destructive.

The other is as follows: Instead of connecting the track together as
normal, put two adjacent sections of track onto a small plate and leave
a one stud gap. That gap means you now have an electrical gap.
Unfortunately, it's on both sides and only needed on one. No problem.
Taking yet another spare power connector, use it to bridge the gap on
one side... connect one leg of the connector to the rail on one side of
the gap, the other to the rail on the other side, and then use some
clever conductive plate work to short the connectors together on the 2x2
plate where they terminate..

100% pure Lego solution.

Now the absolute purist is going to argue that cutting a 9V wire to
splice on a 12V connector is impure. Oh well. There is no easy and
reliable way around that one that uses all LEGO parts.

-Frank

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!