 Trains / 4179
Re: Blue Electric Track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 23:12:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Buiting writes:
Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> schreef in berichtnieuws
38A5C5DB.BC65FD7B@voyager.net...
Fortunately for us, some stalwart fan scanned in the instructions.
Unfortunately for us, unlike with later sets, the instructions are mute
on showing us how to put the track together so we don't have a
definitive answer.

I own the 725 [1] blue track freight train with some points and crossover
[3] I use the signal with my 9V track, Busy Bee sells those signals for 16
pounds and with minor adjustments 9V trains can be controlled with it. If
you want some info feel free to mail me how it's done :-)

Many years ago this was the only track me & a LEGO maniac friend had...just
for the record, between 1977 and 1981-ish we had built remote (manual)
operated 4.5v points and multi-gauge track (std 6 studs mixed with 'narrow' 4
stud). We eveb rigged up a timetable/train announcement system using a
scientific calculator display (remember this was 1977).

Our models used the limited bricks we had to maximum effect...We regularly
simulated the entire London Underground and Southern Electric (British Rail)
system using battery and push-along trains and twenty years later I am looking
to do the same thing with 9v.

The big advantage with the 4.5 system is the choice of track gauge - you can
use 8 stud 'broad gauge', 6 stud 'standard gauge' or 4 stud 'narrow gauge'.
Points (turnouts) are a little more complicated though! I would add that
both 'narrow' and 'broad' gauge systems have been used with great success.

If anyone else is attempting to make models of UK-outline trains I would love
to hear from you - at least the loading gauge looks OK 6-wide.

Jon Reynolds