 Trains / 3327
Re: Longest train?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:19:48 GMT

James Powell wrote:

Is CPCoal Canadian? I saw a show that was talking about trains running through • the
Canadian rockies. They were using two engines up front, 50 cars, a third • engine,
and 50 more cars. Lots of cool scenes...like the trains running through the
tunnels that cross over themselves...to reduce the grade.

snip

Yes, that would be Canadian Pacific Railroad, the coal trains.  Now they have
the 6000HP AC engines doing that work...2.2% ruling grade, and it is hard on
the equipment.

From what you are saying, that is about 1/2 the HP...and the trains haven't
got any lighter...  It depends where though, since they only had the 12 engines
on for a short part of the trip (I'm thinking about 4 hrs of it) (i'd have to
find my book with them described to figure out which portion of the journey).

Ah, I was being vague again. The trains to which I was refering were regular
freight trains not coal trains.

snip

(back to lego!)
The 60 cars strech about 2/3 of the way around my upper level.  Getting them
back down will be fun. Max 10 cars/3 engines on the grades, otherwise I have
'space' trains, rather than town ones...

Why 'space'? Is it because your trains become 'rockets' if you send more than 10
cars and 3 engines down at once (oops keep reading and you answered this on)? Are
you running on "standard" LEGO grade, two plate elevation per track length, or
have you gone to 1 brick elevation per track length.

I will see if I can borrow a video camera and take a film (but no, not of them
launching!)

James P

maybe you should look into a single stage to orbit LEGO train system?

Chris