 Trains / 3278
Re: Longest train?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 03:28:14 GMT

I would tend to say that when we are talking "longest train" that there
ought to be two categories:

The "pure" category should require all motors be on contiguous units
located at the front (so as to allow multiple units but not allow
spacing the motors along the length of the train).

What about the real ones with mid train helpers?  CP Coal trains in the rockies
used to (don't know if they do any more) get 12 3000 HP engines, 4 front, 4
mid, 4 end.  They even had a big pileup from a little mistake that they made
(and you thought it was bad when a RC car had interference...)

Anyway, all my motors are at the front for now.

I would be quite amazed if one could get a 60 car train moving without a
pulled knuckle, unless one either started on a downgrade or gave some
manual assistance at the rear. Not saying that it's not doable, but I
definitely would be impressed, and probably would want some "proof", all
in good fun(1)

Mine is doing it right now, with 3 motors on the head end, and none at the
rear.  Flat track, excepting perhaps 1 plate grades up/down in places (and they
are evened out, not all one way :)

To Ben's point, I think you really want to avoid all single axle cars,
they have higher rolling resistance since their wheels are not nearly as
tangent to the curves.

14 bogie cars, the remainder ,48 or so, are single axle.  The single axle cars
are split about 30/70 between 16 long cars and 10 long cars.

I could do a count, for any trainspotters
122312 Coal car, blue
122313 Coal car, blue
ect :)

There are 9 blue coal cars (5 plank, rotary unloaders by my description), and 6
red 21T hoppers in the train.

James P