 Trains / 3286
Re: Longest train?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 05:42:33 GMT

Is CPCoal Canadian? I saw a show that was talking about trains running through • the
Canadian rockies. They were using two engines up front, 50 cars, a third • engine,
and 50 more cars. Lots of cool scenes...like the trains running through the
tunnels that cross over themselves...to reduce the grade.

60 cars....cool...I have got a ways to go before I can get any where near 60. • Tha
must be some sight to see!

Chris

Yes, that would be Canadian Pacific Railroad, the coal trains.  Now they have
the 6000HP AC engines doing that work...2.2% ruling grade, and it is hard on
the equipment.

From what you are saying, that is about 1/2 the HP...and the trains haven't
got any lighter...  It depends where though, since they only had the 12 engines
on for a short part of the trip (I'm thinking about 4 hrs of it) (i'd have to
find my book with them described to figure out which portion of the journey).

If only freight rates were done right in this country, then we would have a
electric rockies crossing, instead of the 12! diesels and such like.  When I
came across on 'The Canadian" from Vancouver to Long Lac Ontario, we had 2
units on point, and that was with about 8 heavyweight passenger cars.
(equpment car, 2 coaches, dome, 2 sleepers, 'beavertail', diner).  Thats the
winter train, and I can imagine the summer train with 2x the cars taking 2x the
power...4 of our F40's (of however many we have left, at least it is no longer
F units...)

(back to lego!)
The 60 cars strech about 2/3 of the way around my upper level.  Getting them
back down will be fun. Max 10 cars/3 engines on the grades, otherwise I have
'space' trains, rather than town ones...

I will see if I can borrow a video camera and take a film (but no, not of them
launching!)

James P