 Trains / 3274
Re: Longest train?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 23:29:08 GMT

I would tend to say that when we are talking "longest train" that there
ought to be two categories:

The "pure" category should require all motors be on contiguous units
located at the front (so as to allow multiple units but not allow
spacing the motors along the length of the train).

The "pure fun" category lifts the restriction, and anything goes.
Spacing motors out every 15-20 cars would allow quite long trains. I
think you're eventually up against the limit of how much current the
speed controller can supply.

I would be quite amazed if one could get a 60 car train moving without a
pulled knuckle, unless one either started on a downgrade or gave some
manual assistance at the rear. Not saying that it's not doable, but I
definitely would be impressed, and probably would want some "proof", all
in good fun(1)

To Ben's point, I think you really want to avoid all single axle cars,
they have higher rolling resistance since their wheels are not nearly as
tangent to the curves.

1 - note that the last time I said something couldn't be done, we got a
rather stunning model out of it... What else should I claim isn't
doable?? :-)

Ben Fleskes wrote:

PNLTC did 63 or 65 cars at the Feb '99 GATS show in Portland.  We had three
engines, but I'm not sure if it was three or five motors total.

We had two engines pulling and one pushing at the end.

Are all your motors pulling?  How do you keep it from breaking the couplers
apart?  Is your train mostly double bogie cars or the shorter single wheelsets
at each end variety.  How long is the train in it's entirety.  I think our was
about 30 feet or so.

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:
What is the longest train anyone has run?

I'm up to 61 cars/3 motors pulling...and its running quite happy in the
background right now...

James Powell