 Trains / 30947
Re: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 04:30:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
Clifton D. Chambers wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Thomas Holzer wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
Has anyone ever considered extending this and doing some kind of molding of
new track pieces ourselves? Has anyone ever done some investigation of how
much it would cost for a mold for a larger radius curve or other new track
shapes?
During the last year I got a lot of experiences in 3d printing. I think that
can be an alternative to molding since that is very costly.

Take a look at my results for minifigs at:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/MinifigCustomsIn3d

With the same technique it should be possible to mold also new track pieces.

Woody64

There has been a lot of DISCUSSION on molding new track, but what we need is an
actual demonstration of a technique that works and produces a real product.
Anyone producing good quality 9V LEGO compatible track will find that there is a
waiting market.
I think someone needs to just go to some plastics manufacturers (molding,
3d printing, whatever) and say "this is what we want, how much would it
cost for a mold or design and how much would it cost per unit"
I think that if someone said "We can do a new radius of curve thats 100%
lego 9v compatible but it will cost $5000 for the mold and setup and 20c
per piece including the metal rails", we could find people willing to
donate towards the upfront costs IMO.
Same for other 9v parts (straigts in various sizes, points etc)

The TechShop (www.techshop.ws) charnges members about $15 per in^3 of material consumed to do a 3D print in ABS.  The output is a little "grainy", but it could probably make acceptable non-conductive track.  Still have the conductive rail problem.  Laser cutting from something like acrylic is another option for non-conductive track. That would be cheap. And another option is milling it out of a slab of ABS using a 3D mill.   All of these are cheaper than injection molding.

Yeah, I just added more "talk" to a "enough talk, who's done it?" thread.  To
make up for that, here is some real data.  I've been investigating injection
molding for a completely different product, so I've learned a lot about actual
tooling costs.

An aluminum insert mold, with a simple planar parting line, dimensional
tolerances slightly less than TLG standards, good for around 5K-10K shots, will
cost $2K-$5K. Add $$ for TLG tolerances (their molding is very precise). Add $$
for a non-planar parting line. Add $$$ for "core pulls", that is any side-action
parts to the mold for transverse holes and so forth.

If you want tool steel that will last for 100K shots before wear destroys the
tolerances, a "real" mold with embedded cooling lines and not just an insert
mold, TLG tolerances, $5K probably won't buy the blank to give to the machinst.
Think around $50K for the mold.

Variable costs are dominated by the cycle time, not the material, quite often.
If your mold produces 4 pieces of standard straight track per shot (or maybe one
turnout per shot) and the clamp-shoot-cool-eject cycle takes 60 seconds per
shot, you can divide the burdened shop rate by pieces per hour and work out your
time charges.

For conductive track, I agree that the best bet is probably some existing rail
(Gauge 1?) that has about the right profile and just scratch build.  It might be
reasonable to do a cheap aluminum insert mold for ties (sleepers) that could
produce 10 or so per shot.  Or maybe laser cut the ties.