 Trains / 30931
Re: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 2009 03:44:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Clifton D. Chambers wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Thomas Holzer wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
   Has anyone ever considered extending this and doing some kind of molding of new track pieces ourselves? Has anyone ever done some investigation of how much it would cost for a mold for a larger radius curve or other new track shapes?

During the last year I got a lot of experiences in 3d printing. I think that can be an alternative to molding since that is very costly.

Take a look at my results for minifigs at: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/MinifigCustomsIn3d

With the same technique it should be possible to mold also new track pieces.

Woody64

There has been a lot of DISCUSSION on molding new track, but what we need is an actual demonstration of a technique that works and produces a real product. Anyone producing good quality 9V LEGO compatible track will find that there is a waiting market.

Your molded parts are very impressive.

The simple solution that I would envision would be lego compatible ties that work with some off the shelf model railroad rail stock. That would keep the lego gauge, eliminate the need to put metal on plastic (beyond slipping ties on to the rail), etc.. Not as easy as the lego track, since you’d likely have to cut the rails to length, a transition to lego track would have to be a custom piece, and switches would be... an adventure. Actually, as I think further, if you can live with a small gap a transition to lego track doesn’t have to be any more difficult than the model rr track ends right where the lego track begins, but you’d need power leads care to make sure the height is as close as possible between the two systems.

As a potential consumer, assuming anyone ever bit, it would be great if all of the potential manufacturers zeroed in on the same rail stock (so if vendor A produced a switch, I could use it with my vendor B’s track that I already have).

Benn