 Trains / 3078
Re: broken motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 20:21:43 GMT

Scott Lambert wrote:

Hi to all.
I'm not really into trains at all, but my nephews asked me
to try to find a replacement motor for this set they have.

#6399 Airport Shuttle

The motor (or reduction gearing) is seized up solid.
I think the set is not made anymore. I was tempted to tear
into it and try to fix it but I've noticed that this set
is going for respectable money on EBay et al and I hate to
diminish the value should they at some point want to try
to sell it.

I've heard this referred to as a monorail system; the train
carries it's own 9V battery around.

Can anyone offer advice?

Try the following

- call consumer affairs to see if they have any. Tell them it's the same
motor used in the 6991 which is the most recent vintage monorail...
- Watch for someone selling either just the motor (it is a service pack
item, and does come up once in a while) or a 6991... part out everything
else and keep the motor.
- try to move the motor shaft to see if you can free the seize. The
micromotor siezes sometimes and usually just moving the shaft frees it
up.

If you're into monorails you need a spare motor if you can get one. I
have 4 or 5 but they're not for sale at fair prices. If someone wants to
offer me 100 USD I'd consider it. But you can do better than that price,
a lot better. (100 is way over market but I have no intention of ever
being without spares for my monorails)

Failing that, sell the airport shuttle with the warning that the motor
is broken. I'd buy it if the price was right.... under 175. But that's
way below market, you can do better, a lot better. Even with a duff
motor you should be able to get 250 if most of the rest of the set is
complete and the instructions are present.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Scott Lambert

YW, HTH.