 Trains / 30759
  Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?

We all want new larger radius curves and other things. Also, Big Ben Bricks, BrickArms and others have been able to successfully mold and sell new custom parts. Has anyone ever considered extending this and doing some kind of molding of new track (...) (15 years ago, 8-Mar-09, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?

I think it's feasible, but not necessarily for 9v track. Personally, I'd be happy even with RC track in a wider radius, and I think it'd be more feasible for the same reason Lego switched, it's cheaper to make, easier to design. Ben I think can give (...) (15 years ago, 8-Mar-09, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?

(...) I think some people have investigated this in the past for 9V and found that the cost was to great to warrant proceeding. That said, it is probably more feasible for the 'RC Track' since you would not have to deal with the metal rails. (...) (15 years ago, 9-Mar-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?

In lugnet.trains, Stefan Garcia wrote: <snip> (...) I've looked at doing different track sections consistently with the old style 9v track (with the metal on top). Putting the metal on top is a very expensive proposition and found the whole scenario (...) (15 years ago, 9-Mar-09, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?

(...) With a little modding to the internal curves of the parts shown in the picture above, it might be possible to support ballast from underneath the track like this: (URL) Mark (15 years ago, 9-Mar-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  New Flexible Track Pieces (was: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?)

(...) Here is a further picture, showing 64 flexible track pieces in set 8867. The gaps between the two halves of each track piece are smaller than in the previous picture, and there are fewer studs for attaching ballast: (URL) To ballast it means (...) (15 years ago, 13-Mar-09, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.announce, FTX)

  Re: New Flexible Track Pieces (was: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?)

Thanks for digging up that picture! Now we know how it's supposed to be used. I'm betting this is going to rock!!! Myself? I'll probably just go for lots of 2x2 gray tiles under the track. Can't wait for the new track pieces!!! -Stefan- (15 years ago, 13-Mar-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: New Flexible Track Pieces (was: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?)

(...) The latest flexi-track picture (URL) shows check rails inside the running rails. This might be OK for tram tracks through streets, or maybe dockyards, but what about main rail lines? If you are a public exhibitor of LEGO trains, are check (...) (15 years ago, 17-Mar-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: New Flexible Track Pieces (was: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?)

I'm hoping for the non-checkrail version. It's not a dealbreaker, but on top of the color change from regular 9V (since I'm not ready to stock up on RC, just to add the new stuff to the old and switch the motors), the transition to checkrail track (...) (15 years ago, 17-Mar-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: New Flexible Track Pieces (was: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?)

(...) I don't see myself using this in long strips together, so I don't think it'll be much of a problem. Instead, I see myself using one or two in between pieces of straight track to get certain geometries. For public shows, I doubt we'll use this (...) (15 years ago, 18-Mar-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: New Flexible Track Pieces (was: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?)

(...) I'm not a fan of the checkrail either, but if we're going to be forced to have it, I'm hoping LEGO will be smart about it. If the checkrail was done right, then you could run a dual gauge layout - normal trains on the outside rail, narrow (...) (15 years ago, 18-Mar-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Narrow Gauge (Was Re: New Flexible Track Pieces...)

(...) Well, not so much creating the gauge, as producing dedicated parts for the gauge. The rail gauge has been used previously, most recently in: [LEGOSet 7036] And before that in: [LEGOSet 6761] And, possibly, even way back in: [LEGOSet 360-1] (...) (15 years ago, 18-Mar-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: New Flexible Track Pieces (was: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?)

(...) I thought I read something somewhere that this track would allow it do quicker inclines and declines, Dues the new track have a bit of a bend to it? or is it simply the fact that it is four studs long, so the track pivots at the connection (...) (15 years ago, 17-Apr-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?

(...) During the last year I got a lot of experiences in 3d printing. I think that can be an alternative to molding since that is very costly. Take a look at my results for minifigs at: (URL) the same technique it should be possible to mold also new (...) (15 years ago, 27-Sep-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?

(...) There has been a lot of DISCUSSION on molding new track, but what we need is an actual demonstration of a technique that works and produces a real product. Anyone producing good quality 9V LEGO compatible track will find that there is a (...) (15 years ago, 27-Sep-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?

(...) The simple solution that I would envision would be lego compatible ties that work with some off the shelf model railroad rail stock. That would keep the lego gauge, eliminate the need to put metal on plastic (beyond slipping ties on to the (...) (15 years ago, 28-Sep-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?

(...) I think someone needs to just go to some plastics manufacturers (molding, 3d printing, whatever) and say "this is what we want, how much would it cost for a mold or design and how much would it cost per unit" I think that if someone said "We (...) (15 years ago, 28-Sep-09, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Has anyone considered molding track ourselves?

(...) The TechShop (www.techshop.ws) charnges members about $15 per in^3 of material consumed to do a 3D print in ABS. The output is a little "grainy", but it could probably make acceptable non-conductive track. Still have the conductive rail (...) (15 years ago, 9-Oct-09, to lugnet.trains)