 Trains / 29309
    Is it possible to run lego trains outdoors? —Doug Dropeskey
   After moving 4 times in 4 years, I find myself with a house. Unfortunately, there is not enough room in the house or garage for a lego train setup. But I do have a large, fenced in back yard with lots of trees. So then, is it possible to weatherize (...) (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Is it possible to run lego trains outdoors? —Ondrew Hartigan
     (...) With 9v track, no way. 9v track does indeed rust if exposed to water over time. If you go with RC track I don't see why you couldn't run it outside but keep in mind that dirt acts as an abrasive so keep the track off the ground or take steps (...) (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Is it possible to run lego trains outdoors? —David Laswell
     (...) Absolutely. It's called "building an addition on your house". Seriously, though, it is entirely possible to run LEGO trains outside (our club has been involved in three separate outdoor displays that I know of, two of which I've participated (...) (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Is it possible to run lego trains outdoors? —Ted Andes
      (...) This is absolutely correct (I actually work for one of the major companies that has supplied LEGO their ABS). ABS is not good outdoors. In most outdoor weatherable applications where ABS is present, it is extruded in sheet form and used as a (...) (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Is it possible to run lego trains outdoors? —John Neal
      (...) And that is despite the fact that all models in miniland have been given a healthy coat of UV protection. One of the model builders told me that the structures in miniland must be replaced every 5-7 years. Bill V. could comment more (...) (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

          Re: Is it possible to run lego trains outdoors? —David Laswell
      (...) Well, the UV protective coating itself isn't even as durable as would be desirable. When we were perusing Miniland at LLCA in February '05, there were large sections of it (and other non-related models throughout the park) where the UV (...) (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: Is it possible to run lego trains outdoors? —Doug Dropeskey
     (...) I had not considered the effect of sunlight on the bricks. That's a show stopper for me, as I would like to leave structures in place, even if the trains come indoors after each use. Thank you to everyone for the suggestions and information. (...) (17 years ago, 18-Jul-07, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Is it possible to run lego trains outdoors? —John Neal
   (...) As advised elsewhere, the answer is "no", UNLESS.... you do as I am going to do. My next Big Thing® is going to be creating 12 wide LEGO trains that utilize G scale track, trucks, couplers, and motors. I will run them outdoors (but won't leave (...) (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Is it possible to run lego trains outdoors? —Tim David
   (...) I'll beleive that when I see it ;-) Tim (17 years ago, 14-Jul-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Is it possible to run lego trains outdoors? —Dave Sterling
   (...) I don't doubt that John will get this done in the near future. After talking with him this weekend, I can see the gears turning and I think this will be an awesome setup when it comes to fruition. John is one more core community member who is (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jul-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)