 Trains / 29312
Re: Is it possible to run lego trains outdoors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:00:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Laswell wrote:
And more importantly, there's the
issue of the pigments in ABS not being 100% UV-resistant unless it's black and
I'm sure you'd like at least a few other colors in your layout, especially since
they don't make black 9V track).  Every other color will fade over time if left
in the sun (if you've been to LEGOLAND, CA in the last few years, you'll
understand), and even the plastic itself will degrade and become more
susceptible to cracks or the plastic equivalent of dryrot (where the surface
plastic will literally crumble away into dust if you rub your finger on it).

This is absolutely correct (I actually work for one of the major companies that
has supplied LEGO their ABS).  ABS is not good outdoors.  In most outdoor
weatherable applications where ABS is present, it is extruded in sheet form and
used as a substrate in thermoformed parts.  Sometimes there is an acrylic cap
layer that protects the ABS color from UV degredation and color shift.
Othertimes the cap layer has the color (using an ASA for example).

I am just getting back into LEGO, and I missed the great 'bley' debate... but I
first heard this I assumed that LEGO when this way to minimize the UV
colorshift.  Under UV, colors will shift towards yellow, and blue pigments can
be used to offset that shift.