 Trains / 29311
Re: Is it possible to run lego trains outdoors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2007 02:41:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Doug Dropeskey wrote:
After moving 4 times in 4 years, I find myself with a house.  Unfortunately,
there is not enough room in the house or garage for a lego train setup.  But I
do have a large, fenced in back yard with lots of trees.  So then, is it
possible to weatherize a lego train and run it outdoors?  That is, can I a lay a
track and leave it outside?  I am in northern California and do not have to
contend with snow, but it rains quite a bit in the winter.

-Doug

With 9v track, no way. 9v track does indeed rust if exposed to water over time.

If you go with RC track I don't see why you couldn't run it outside but keep in
mind that dirt acts as an abrasive so keep the track off the ground or take
steps to ensure the track stays relatively dirt free.  Now this doesn’t mean you
have to run RC trains or that you can't run 9v trains you will just have to run
them off batteries. If you run a 9v train motor off of 12 AA batteries it should
run for several hours before you see a noticeable drop in speed. Additionally
you can run a rheostat or resistors to slow the motor and prolong battery life.
Now going with battery power for the 9v trains isn't ideal as you loose the
ability to stop the train at will, but it will do the job.

ondrew