 Trains / 24483
Re: Frank's first LEGO train set has been a 111
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 01:07:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Clark Stephens wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Eric Strand wrote:
In lugnet.trains, David Koudys wrote:>
I'm going to verify at home tonight, but I have the 103 with the box and I'm
quite sure it didn't come from EU

http://sparky.i989.net/legop5.htm

I'll have a boo at the box as well as the instructions...

Dave K

<snip>

Dave,

I'm very interested to hear what you find out.  From your pictures it
appears that your box has the black and white logo with the 5 different size
people.  As far as I know, this logo was never used by Samsonite USA.
Also, the gears in that box don't match the Samsonite USA gears.  However it
would be nice to find a new rarity!  :)   Keep us posted!

Eric,
I believe the 107 set came in two versions. The first version had a blue motor
and battery box. The second version had a black motor & battery box (not
currently listed on Lugnet as a separate set).
The blue version came out in the 60's; the black version was early 70's. I'll do
a little digging and see what I can find.
The set pictured by David is the later black version.

The motor pictured is definitely the earlier style motor, with rivet-like
sockets for the 4.5v plugs. The later motor was significantly different
internally, with the sockets actually attached to the internal metal motor
chassis, instead of the the plastic cover.

Also, the box looks much like how I remember the box mine came in, which was a
blue version. It no longer exists, so unfortunately I can't confirm it. The
motor in my set was blue.

ROSCO