 Trains / 22616
Re: 8-wide "Hogwart's Express" using Big Ben wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:40:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:
I haven't even started planning my 4-6-2, but I have been thinking about
how I will do the drivers. Currently, I am thinking that I will loosely
connect the middle wheels to the drive rods using a techinic peg/axel
(part #3747), so the middle wheels connection can move in an out of the
drive rods (or in and out of the wheel). I am also hoping that I can
come up with a design that will allow the inside middle wheel (inside on
a curve) to move inward in a turn an spring back out on a straight
without changing the position of the outside wheel.

Now that is inspired genius!  You wouldn't really have to connect the middle
wheels to the rods at all though, which may make it easier.  The possibility is
there for adding skirts to the hundreds of 'Mallards' that are about to
appear...

I can see the discussion of techniques to do this getting as heated as the one
about point motors... :-)

P.S.  I didn't realise my reply to David Koudys had only gone into /rltToronto.
What I said was for polarity switches, you can just stick the tip of a classic
space 4-stud long antenna into the axle hole, and they'll operate without
latching.  You can then put a rubber band along just in front and behind the
antennae to make them auto-centre.

Jason Railton