 Trains / 22556
Re: 8-wide "Hogwart's Express" using Big Ben wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:42:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:
   So I got some wheels from Ben Fleskes, and knew I had to build a version of the “Hogwart’s Express” from the Harry Potter movies.

There’s only four pictures in the folder, here is a preview image:

The boiler is build from a whole bunch of the 1x3x2 half-arch in black and red. The black ones are from 28 copies of the Mini Slave 1, the red ones are from Bricklink. That makes the boiler 6-wide, so the radar dish on the front is a bit small, but I think kids will like it. The large 12volt wheels under the cab and tender are set up in two pairs, the one under the cab and the front one from the tender are connected, the back two under the tender are connected. So I guess you could call this a 4-6-4-4 assembly. :-)

I did have to cheat a bit, the 1x plates overhanging the main driver wheels had to be trimmed just a bit because they were rubbing on the drivers. But, since you can’t see the modification, I think I can live with it. I originally built the locomotive 9-wide (so no rubbing), but I didn’t want to build the cab and tender 9-wide also. 8-wide is crazy enough!

This locomotive will be making it’s world premier in La Crosse, Wisconsin, next weekend. It’s not complete, the tender still needs work, I tossed it together just to hold the battery box - gotta light that firebox, you know... *grin*

JohnG, GMLTC

To John, I really like the way that you have built the boiler !It’s Round ! I hope you don’t mind if I borrow that Boiler design. Nothing wrong with 9 wides ! Thanks , Teunis.