 Trains / 22591
Re: 8-wide "Hogwart's Express" using Big Ben wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:29:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Geoff Snell wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:

snip

I’ve always kept all the wheels on the track, so my 4-6-2 runs as a 4-4-4 set. I’ve only ever been able to link two axles with rods though, not all three.

That’s how I managed to do it too!

The problem with a full set of coupling and push rods is that you tend to fix the cylinders and driver wheels to the body, which means that the very front of the train swings out a long way on corners.

A bigger challenge is to fit the cylinders onto the wheelbase, so it’s then free to move around under the body of the engine. Your body can then be pinned to the wheelbase on the front and rear sets of wheels, so it swings out less. The drawback to this is that most prototypes have the cylinders right up alongside the front bogey.

I managed to fit the cylinders to the front bogie so they articulate too, but can’t fit push rods though

   P.S. Is there anyone who isn’t doing a Mallard? I’m really going to have to think of something else...

Wouldn’t normally do a Mallard Jason, but had to build it as a promised to my nephew - honest!

Geoff

PS: very nice Rocket!

Thanks. And I can feel the peer pressure building - I can see myself ending up doing that A4 Pacific. Hopefully it’ll be better than this one:

Jason Railton