 Trains / 22024
Re: New MOC: 4-8-4 Northern
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 15:02:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mattias Martensson wrote:
   Hi again Shaun

After studing the fantastic pictures in more detail I have two small qustions

Just behind the main smokestack there are two pins standing up side by side, How are these made?

How have you connected the piston rods to the wheels?

Mattias

Hi Mattias,

The pins behind the smokestack are this piece, in black:

To connect the wheels to the piston rods, the axles are extended slightly to each side, and attached to one end of these:

The piston rods are then connected via the central hole of the liftarm, which allows for free rotation. You can kind of see them in this image here, though they’re mostly hidden behind the rods themselves:

Thanks for the recommendations of reference materials ... I’m definitely going to look into getting a copy of the Locomotive Encyclopedia you mentioned, and the website you listed has some fantastic images!

As for what’s next ... I’m not sure, train-wise! I’ve got a couple of other projects in the works, but none of them are train-related. I’d like to find some other “oddball” train creation to try my hand at - along the lines of a handcar and snowplow, something that can include some eye-catching automation. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the feedback!

-s