 Trains / 22003
Re: New MOC: 4-8-4 Northern
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:33:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   Pretty nifty. A little oversize in my view (whether it’s to scale or not) but we’re used to that from you by now. I’d love to see what this looks like with BBB wheels instead of those tyres.

Hi Lar,

Thank for the feedback. One of the big (HA!) disadvantages to building to this scale is that everything else has to grow along with it. That is, any train-related building has to get larger in order to fit in scale-wise, which gets expensive and time-consuming! On the other hand, some of my larger models are intended more as static display pieces, where they don’t necessarily need to run on a layout or stand side-by-side with a building.

I am dying to get some of those BBB tires. I’m afraid they may be a bit too small for a simple swap with the Northern, but I *know* that they work perfectly right away in some of my other models (the BR18, for example). At your prodding, I just checked again and was pleased to discover that the BBB wheels were being sold, and tragically disappointed to realize that they were temporarily sold out. I cannot wait for those to become available again ...

Are there any pics out there showing them in use yet?

   Can you elaborate on where the dry ice bucket is? I sort of didn’t follow that bit...

I snapped a couple more pics to show the area in question:

(clicking the above image takes you to the Northern gallery, where there are some additional pics showing the concept)

The bucket is in a sealed chamber, so the dry ice vapor would not have to fill up a very large volume before it could start escaping out the top of the stack. Ideally, I’d rather have the steam coming out closer to the front of the engine, but this was more of an experiment than an accurate attempt. I figure that I could move the bucket further forward, and possibly use it in conjunction with a LEGO motor and fan, to direct the “smoke” to wherever it should be coming from.

Thanks again,

-s