 Trains / 20864
Re: New German Diesel Locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:42:13 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:

   Being a trainhead, I have to correct you on this one. The nickname “Taigatrommel” does NOT correspond with this class. The “Taigatrommel” is a class BR 220 (former DR class V120), the more rounded predecessor of this class BR 232. Nicknames for the BR 232 are “Ludmilla” and “Russenschreck”.

You are surly right Niels,

but a google search gave me several hits, where both engines V120/220 and 232 have been called Taigatrommel. Obviously lots of people haven’t noticed the design change and used that name on all USSR diesels in Germany.

As I just reread on one page, only the V120/220 came completely without exhaust pipe dampers. Those 12 cylinder diesels must have deserved the name “drum” pretty much....

Leg Godt + and thanks for your hint!

Ben

A surftip (in German language only) for those who are more interested in this topic: http://verkehr.freepage.de/taiga/

   Since the German reunion with the merge of “DR” and “DB” these seam to be spread all over Germany as I just have read - some are even rent to the Netherlands railway.

Correct, a few with modified engines as class BR 241 are used for steeltrains between Beverwijk - Amsterdam - Arnhem - into Germany. Others, still as class BR 232, for several freighttrains between Maasvlakte - Kijfhoek (south of Rotterdam) - Venlo - into Germany. Some still show ‘DB Cargo’ on the sides, others show ‘Railion’.

Niels