 Trains / 19698
Re: 12v motor in 9v trains - how?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 11:52:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Peter Naulls writes:

Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke wrote:

it took maybe 3 hours to convert the first motor. Then I did 2 at a time and
needed less than 2 hours to convert 2 motors. An that included all works:
making the connecting bushes, opening the housing, drill the needed holes etc.
That is not so much work. Most complicated has been to find fitting springs:
those are very fine and offer only very low forces. A spring from a ball pen
would be way to big and strong....

Although the 9v -> 12v conversion is very nice, as you said in another
post, 9v is really the way to go.  In fact, I don't have any 12V
track, but I am planning on getting a 7745, or possibly some other
12V trains.  Of course, you can simply plonk in a 9V motor.

_However_, I've been considering options for running 12V motors on
9V track.  One of the obvious (but potentially ugly) options is to have
some attached sprung contacts from the 12V contacts to the 9V track.
The trick in this case is having them work in both directions - and
of course, through switches.

It might be easier to electrify the 12V wheels (copper tape mentioned
elsewhere again comes to mind), and then having slot car style wire
brushes from the 12V contacts.

Has anyone tried any of this, and care to comment, or on how well 12V
motors run at a mere 9V?

They work pretty well. I run my 12v "Grasshopper" Atlantic on 9v layouts. I have
to keep it at a kind of high speed, or the motor jerks and sticks (but that may
just be mine).

I use the quick-and-dirty method to make it go. It's powered from the top by a
wire that leads from a 9v tender behind it [1]. The contacts on the 12v motor
are taped down with blue masking tape.

A pic of the engine at:
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=111514

Hope that helps!

Rick Clark

[1] The wire has a 12v plug at one end, and a 9v plug at the other. It is not
necessary to destroy any 12v wires for this, since they simply unscrew from the
plug. Just unhook the 12v plug and screw it onto the end of a 9v wire that
you've cut in half.