 Trains / 19692
Re: questions about swapping rubber bands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 22:30:07 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Cary Clark writes:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

If [on a 9V motor] one exchanges the rubber bands of the wheels
against the rubber bands from Lego-Minifig-bicycles, it is somewhat
stronger on 12V track, but still it is basically running on the
outer rims of the wheels and tends to slip.

Odd thing was, after looping for a while, the motor stopped working at any
speed. The light on the train still responded to the regulator, so the
problem is definitely in the motor, not the regulator.

Hi Cary,

that sounds not to good...
:-(

- Do you swap all four rubber bands, or only two? Which two?

I always swapped all 4 rubber bands (at maybe 33% of all my motors - especially
those that have not too much ballast but shall pull longer trains).

- Do you run your bicycle-tire equipped motors on 9V track as well as 12V?

Only on 9V nowadays. In the past a few times on 12V as well...

- Have you noticed any binding?

No, I have not, but usually my trains are stored in boxes and they do not run
at all - most of them rest for years (or "forever", since they are not nice
enough for shows and not simple enough for kids). The heaviest engine of mine -
the BR50 stem engine - has a single motor in its lightweighted coal tender.
http://www.fgltc.org/bwoabs/trains/original/pi516.jpg
Therefor I have put bicycle rubbers on that motor and since that moment it runs
fine. It ran for 2 days without breaks at the Legoworld event in Zwolle.

So that is definitely the most used engine of mine and it ran without any
trouble even through curve combinations and points.

The small tan diesel engine (built by Larry P. 3 years ago) is the other "much
used" model of mine.
http://www.fgltc.org/bwoabs/trains/original/pi464.jpg
It is very small, lightweighted and only 4 wheeled - that is the reason, I
always have it with me at any show: it works as test engine as well than as
kids play model (easy to put onto the track). Because of its low weight I added
bicycle wheels on that as well. And it has run for several hours in garden
layouts (my nephew loves that!). And in Zwolle that one ran for lots of hours
as well and pulled 14 smaller waggons without any trouble. So I am really
convinced that these thicker rubber bands are very usefull to strengthen your
motors.

Do you lubricate or modify the bands in
anyway?

Definitely "NO!"

One more thing: when swapping rubber bands around, I noticed that the fried
motor was missing one rubber band altogether. Has anyone seen motor damage
resulting from missing bands?

No, never heard about anything like that....

Good luck for future use of 9V motors! Usually those are very reliable:
Thorsten Wernecke has driven motors for over 4 month nonstop in his wifes
pharmacy window display.

Leg Godt!

Ben

P.s.: the Zwolle picture gallery: